Founded six decades ago at the initiative and using the means of the mining industry, the Mining Institute is scientifically, development-research and in a designing sense, the framework of construction, technical-technological and production ascension of the Yugoslavian and Serbian mining in the second half of the XX century. Through hiring of the top scientific and engineering experts, the Mining Institute has become a sort of an engineering school that provided the best researchers, designers, university professors and bearers of the development of the mineral-ore complex of our nation. The contributions of the Mining Institute are not only the successfully realized scientific, development-research, innovative and industrial projects, but the development and application of new mining technologies, testing, laboratory and measurement methods, new mathematical-model approaches in engineering of mining etc.
The associates of the Mining institute have conducted over 50 scientificresearch, development and innovation projects with the financial support of the Department of science and technological development of the Republic of Serbia. At the Institute numerous software solutions were developed and 11 technologies and procedures patented. Scientific-research, developmental, innovative and project activities of the MI are oriented towards the areas of:
- Exploitation of mineral ores (underground, surface and underwater),
- Physical-mechanical properties of the rock masses, rock and soil mechanics
- Мineral processing,
- Mine ventilation and technical protection,
- Environment preservation, reclamation and landscaping of the degraded area,
- Thermo-technics and fuel consumption,
- Designing and construction of mining facilities and infrastructure,
- Electric power supply to the mining facilities,
- Computer integrated technologies,
Mineral industry economy.